Skip to main content

An Interview with A Mardi Gras Injun:

Like most true doll collectors, I am very picky about what goes into my collection. I am a historian and storyteller at heart, I am always looking for new information about history and cultures to share with my readers. In this case the information is not new, just new to me.

 My fascination with the Mardi Gras Indians began about five years ago when I discovered a lady who happens to be a doll artist, but more importantly she is part of the Mardi Gras Injun masking culture. In my quest to acquire one of her dolls, I discovered her beautiful culture. She was not only a doll artist but a Big Queen  of  Creole Wild West.  Creole Wild West is the name of her Mardi Gras Injun tribe and one of the oldest documented tribes in Mardi Gras culture.  There are at least two dozen tribes. I am yet to see a list of these tribes, but then again maybe I'm not meant to. We first dove into the culture on a trip to NO about five years ago when we visited the BackStreet Museum .
 

To learn about the history and culture of the tribes and social clubs that are historic to NO a trip to this museum is a must.
Pictured above is a post card from the Backstreet Museum 
                                         
                                                                   
The museum is small but is stuffed with artifacts and knowledgeable people who have some connection to the Mardi Gras Injun culture and history. There are very beautiful suits inside on display by many of the tribes.

FI Ya Yah has to be the coolest name. He is the Big Chief of the Mandingo Warriors. They have a very  distinct African influence in their mask


An Interview with an Injun: Gerald French

 This interview took place on a Monday morning in of  January 2020.
.
Good Morning Mr. French do you mind if I record this conversation: Not at all. I understand.
Ok, lets jump right into this, then I have so much to ask.

Who are You: I'm Gerald French and I am a member of the Tuxedo band and I am a  Freemason

What do you do: I am a musician full time now since my father passed. He was a member. I am now continuing his legacy. Our group is the oldest Jazz group in the world.It formed in 1910. The Original Tuxedo Band .

Is it Mardi Gras Indians or Injuns: It depends on who you ask. If we are in the streets you will hear Injun being used.

Can you give us some history on the Mardi Gras Indians: As you know we where not allowed to participate in organized Carnival but, we have always made something out of nothing. There are many of us who have Native American heritage. In fact, many of us are indigenous  people but don't know it. We found out there where more free people of color in NOLA than there was white people. In NOLA we always cohabited until they started passing laws.
We have the skull and bones, the Babydolls so many secret societies because we could not participate in organized Carnival. The Indians do not exist because of Wild Bill. That is a myth.
 We started dressing as Indians because we knew of the family linage  We also know they took many of us in . Many ask why would these people do that.. well, that's because they where the same people. They came from Africa. Africans had been making trips back and forth here for hundreds of years. If you look at many of our suits they look like the Dogon or tribes in South America, We are the same people. We are just in different areas.

How long have the Mardi  Gras Indians been around : Creole Wild West Charter I think goes back to 1860's. They are one of the oldest charters.

Tell me about your Tribe: I used to be with the Wild Magnolias so, I am not really with any Krew  right now. I've been helping others sew.

Do you miss it? Yes, I do. I plan to get back to it.

When was the last time you masked: The last time I masked was in 2011 or 2012. I will send pictures so you can see my work. I miss it.
 Being part of the culture has allowed me to do so much.  We have traveled all over the world. I went to Denmark to teach about the culture. I brought my suits and we performed it was fantastic.

How much does it cost to create a suit:  It is very expensive. It gets more expensive every year. Some guys spend $25,000-$30,000 on a suit.

What is the most you ever spent: About $12,000, the last suit I wore.

 That is a lot of money. What happens to the suites afterward:Yes, the feathers are expensive they may cost $400 or $500 a pound  and you only get about 70 and we do not reuse the feathers you must get fresh feathers every year. Today they typically reuse the beads today ,but long ago only once.

 How do you feel about others appropriating or profiting off your culture. I don't feel its right and it is being done a lot.

 Who is someone you admire? Big Chief Howard Miller from Creole Wild West and Bo Dollis there are so many. I have so much respect for the older guys they masked for 50 years, created costumes every year. You have to respect that.


You come from a long linage of musicians.The Wild Magnolias were the  first Mardi Gras tribe to record an album is that correct: Yes, my father was part of that.


What is your favorite song:  I love how Bo Dolis sang Golden Crown. I also love How Da Dey Emy dad was on that track, so it is very dear to me. My father played bass.


What could others do to help the culture: Connect with a tribe and donate.

Gerald French photographed in his last Mardi Gras suit.



If you would like to experience the culture and music. A tribute to the late great Bob French can be ordered here.
Music for your soul, order here.
Information on supporting the culture and tours check out the Backstreet Museum.

                         The Pandemic Hits New Orleans

 This year I anticipated  Super Sunday and what would have been my first time seeing the Indians in person. Super Sunday is a select day that the Mardi Gras Indians come out and show out for the community. They start in the park and proceed on a specific route. Along the way, community and tourist are able to watch and experience first hand the energy and  excitement of each tribe. Through song and dance they convey secret codes and folktales. For more information about this unique cultural event, check out NewOrleans.com  Unfortunately, because of the pandemic, It and many other wonderful events were cancelled.
Because I love the culture so much, I wanted to find some item that I could use to represent them in my collection. Prior to the event  I was able to find a  designer that creates handmade dolls in the likeliness of the Mardi Gras Indians. She had several but, this one really spoke to me.  I love the shades of purple, blues and turquoise colors and his beautiful butterfly staff.
                                                                     
He's pretty in the front and pretty in the back.

The staff is very ornate and matches his colorful suit and crown. 


 It was a very big disappointment that Super Sunday was cancelled this year.  This makes me even more excited to see what the people of New Orleans have planned for next year. Those who mask do a wonderful job of  beading and sewing stories about what is going on in the world. Their suits tell even the saddest stories in a beautiful way.  I am so honored to have had a chance to have a conversation with Mr. French and learn more about their history. Next year, If it is Gods will.. I will be there!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from the Hood Custom Dolls and the History of Voodoo

  This morning marks a significant day for me as a professional doll collector. I think I just acquired the most  unique doll in my collection. I noticed the dolls about a month ago while researching voodoo dolls on Ebay. Since learning I am a descendant from the Benin and Togo area of Africa I have  been researching about their religion and trying to understand it more. I have also learned that my line of work has exposed me to homes where families may openly practice Voodoo or Santeria..  Much to my surprise, I came across this very creepy yet, familiar looking doll set. At first I could not put my finger on it but, after reading the caption .. I quickly remember  this 90s Horror flick that eventually became a  Urban Hit and today.. considered a horror classic.. produced by non other than Spike Lee the 90s horror flick TALES FROM THE HOOD... WAS A CREEPY RENDITION OF TALES FROM THE CREEP..  And Me, Yes Me,  I  have just acquired this awesome doll set!  I was so luck to run across

Collecting OOAK Dolls by African American Artist

A few years ago when I almost lost my fire for doll collecting(2011). I discovered a doll artist named Tanya Monegut. I loved the sassy hair, the boots..... I had to have one. I felt the dolls where so much like me. It took me months, but I tracked the artist down and then started communicatine with her via email. At the time she did not have any pieces avaliable... I lost track and it took me another year and half before I was able to track her down again on Etsy.com...so 3 years later I have finally found and purchased a doll from this wonderful artist. I must tell you she is nothing short of awesome. The work and craftsman ship is over and beyond..... I love my new couple, but have not decided on any names yet. Any suggestions?

Dolls Imitating My Life

As I prepare for a doll show tomorrow to honor Dr. James Dickey from Taylor, Texas, I am challenged to create an exhibit about health and wellness. I have less than 24 hrs. For the first time, I will exhibit dolls and dioramas. Here are a few scenes I recently created. More videos and photos coming soon. Learning a new hobby such as playing the djembe drum can be relaxing and is an excellent way to practice selfcare. Who is Dr. James Dickey? Learn more about Dr. James Dickey's contributions to Central Texas and African American health and wellness at his website. https://dickeymuseum.org/dr-james-lee-dickey/ Until next time... photo credits James Dickey Museum website