Skip to main content

Another Year, Another Doll: My top 5 Doll Purchases of 2017

 As we get ready to say goodbye to 2017, we should spend sometime reflecting on life and setting new goals for 2018. This year was a great year for me spiritually, personally, career wise and of course I acquired some wonderful dolls.  With the year winding down.. I spent some time purchasing some must haves for my collection and thought Id share my top 5 doll purchases of 2017!!!


#5  Tales from the Hood OOAK Zombie Dolls
 Please check out my September Blog on how I acquired these awesome handmade dolls! I purchased them for $100. Not bad!

#4  Antique Reproduction Jumena Doll
 I acquired this beauty for less than $50 via Ebay..  I found out about her historical significance by attending the online  Antique Doll Show Hosted by Ruby Lane Dolls in November of 2017
Isn't she gorgeous? She stands about 20 inches tall.  I learned a lot about these very sought after dolls from the Ruby Lane Doll Show.




I was even given this custom certificate for participating in the online doll show.


I definitely plan to attend this Doll Show next year it was full of wonderful seminars and is an excellent way to educate yourself about doll collecting and history.


Ruby Lanes Seminar on Dolls of Color


#3  TRUs Exclusive Black Panther doll
 Most of us have been waiting all year for the debut of the BLACK PANTHER MOVIE which is not set to debut till Feb of 2018. With that said, TRU RELEASED AN EXCLUSIVE LIMITED MA designed doll.. Check out  the sketch! This doll is retailing right now for $79.99 so I put it on Lay A Way... simply because she is spectacular.


The Official Trailer for Black Panther


#2  American Girl Melody and Her Recording Studio
 This item I purchased as a gift for myself in celebration of my fathers passing. Every year during this time I allow myself to make a big doll  purchase in honor of my father. This year I decided to do an AG Haul .. all month long. This included visiting the POP UP STORE @THE DOMAIN IN AUSTIN, TEXAS. I purchased Melody and a Truly Me doll there.  What a wonderful experience hanging out around other doll enthusiast. I also got to meet some wonderful AG staff  such as Leslie, who I enjoy conversing with every time I frequent the store which is scheduled to be open till January of 2018.
Melody's recording studio was on my list and  decided to purchase this item in person at the store in Houston, TX. The studio has so many sentimental values to me.. The studio plays the music to THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE. Which is one of my favorite gospel hymns I sang as a child. In fact we sung this song at the last EASTER PROGRAM I PARTICIPATED IN,  this was in the Spring of 1990. Check out the studio below and see why I could not resist adding it to my collection at a whopping $250.


       


#1  Luvabella Baby
This doll was dubbed one of the hottest Christmas toys for 2017. She is wanted all over the world in places like Italy and France. We are so lucky to have many local stores that sell her here.
 I must admit I am not a big buyer of animated type toys.. I wasn't crazy about Baby Alive... but after watching the promo video for the Luvabella Babies.. I had to add her to my collection. I am beyond blown away by this doll. Her laugh, the way she moves her mouth and the many phrases are the reason  I decided this doll was worth the $100 plus dollar price tag.. If your lucky like me, I found this doll for $77 new at my local Walmart!!! So she will be under my tree for me this Christmas! I think this is the best doll purchase of the year for me! Check  out this great video that shows what she can do. 
   




Will you be adding a Luvabella to your doll collection this year?





Well that's my list!!! What does your top 5 list look like?  Comment below, and don't forget to subscribe! 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from the Hood Custom Dolls and the History of Voodoo

  This morning marks a significant day for me as a professional doll collector. I think I just acquired the most  unique doll in my collection. I noticed the dolls about a month ago while researching voodoo dolls on Ebay. Since learning I am a descendant from the Benin and Togo area of Africa I have  been researching about their religion and trying to understand it more. I have also learned that my line of work has exposed me to homes where families may openly practice Voodoo or Santeria..  Much to my surprise, I came across this very creepy yet, familiar looking doll set. At first I could not put my finger on it but, after reading the caption .. I quickly remember  this 90s Horror flick that eventually became a  Urban Hit and today.. considered a horror classic.. produced by non other than Spike Lee the 90s horror flick TALES FROM THE HOOD... WAS A CREEPY RENDITION OF TALES FROM THE CREEP..  And Me, Yes Me,  I  have just acquired this awesome doll set!  I was so luck to run across

Collecting OOAK Dolls by African American Artist

A few years ago when I almost lost my fire for doll collecting(2011). I discovered a doll artist named Tanya Monegut. I loved the sassy hair, the boots..... I had to have one. I felt the dolls where so much like me. It took me months, but I tracked the artist down and then started communicatine with her via email. At the time she did not have any pieces avaliable... I lost track and it took me another year and half before I was able to track her down again on Etsy.com...so 3 years later I have finally found and purchased a doll from this wonderful artist. I must tell you she is nothing short of awesome. The work and craftsman ship is over and beyond..... I love my new couple, but have not decided on any names yet. Any suggestions?

Dolls Imitating My Life

As I prepare for a doll show tomorrow to honor Dr. James Dickey from Taylor, Texas, I am challenged to create an exhibit about health and wellness. I have less than 24 hrs. For the first time, I will exhibit dolls and dioramas. Here are a few scenes I recently created. More videos and photos coming soon. Learning a new hobby such as playing the djembe drum can be relaxing and is an excellent way to practice selfcare. Who is Dr. James Dickey? Learn more about Dr. James Dickey's contributions to Central Texas and African American health and wellness at his website. https://dickeymuseum.org/dr-james-lee-dickey/ Until next time... photo credits James Dickey Museum website