Skip to main content

Addy Walker visits the Evergreen Plantation

  On a chilly  Tuesday morning at 3 am,  our family gased up our SUV and headed towards Louisiana  from Houston, TX. Addy accompanied me for what would be her first official road trip and the beginning of new adventures for her and I. Back home, or shall I say in cyberspace awaited about 80 adult collectors who where eager to see where Addy was headed. After 8 hours of swamps and bridges high enough to make you think you where flying, we arrived safely in NOLA. Our first destination being the Everygreen Plantation in NOLA. Recognized as  the most intact slave plantation in the south and the site where many scenes from the movie Django where filmed. We where more than excited to arrive. Its important to note that, everyone in the car was either a  fan of  the movie or a die hard history buff .We anticipated this would be a very fun road trip.
We arrived in NOLA about 9 am.. Traveled about ten minutes out from the plantation and found a small Cajun restaurant and decided we would try some gumbo, before the tour started at 11 am. Then we would have adequate time to check into our rooms at the Historic Street Car Inn.
  Upon arrival at the plantation, we enjoyed the artifacts at the information building and chatting with the staff.
  The Evergreen Plantation is known for its sugarcane and to this day, still a working plantation.. Many movies have been filmed there, and at the time they where filming the remake of Roots. The plantation tour is about 2 hours long. It was a guided tour with guides who are native to the area and have very deep roots and ties to the land. We where able to take photos throughout the grounds but not inside the home because it was currently a movie set.  Inside the home, we lavished at the simple elegance of the décor and  where amused by the stories.  We first toured the area of the slave owners.. reliving their day to day life and then of course, saved the most intriguing for last. We eagerly walked through the gate that stood as a reminder of separation from two different people and two different worlds. Inside the gates there was an instant feeling of heaviness. We could feel it under the large oak trees that framed the path so perfectly.  Please look at the 22 slave cabins lined up, identical, preserved and still standing. People walked around in awe. This was without a doubt the attraction of the entire plantation and tour. There was a quietness as people moved around slowly  taking in every visual detail of how African Americans lived  during slavery.
I would certainly say this was a very educational and enjoyable tour. Along side getting a chance to experience NOLA ... its food, people and culture, I can say we will be returning!


We had the pleasure of meeting these young ladies the day before our road trip. They enjoyed learning about Addy's story!



                                          View our road trip here!



We learned that the staircase was added and so was the bottom floor. The home only has 6 rooms but looks like a mansion.

All of the slave cabins are original and housed at least 2 families. Inside there was a fire place in the middle of the home that  separated the two families.


Addy sitting in the backdoor of the cabin. I imagine clothing would be hung outside in this area and children would be running and playing.

Addy and I on Sacred Grounds





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collecting OOAK Dolls by African American Artist

A few years ago when I almost lost my fire for doll collecting(2011). I discovered a doll artist named Tanya Monegut. I loved the sassy hair, the boots..... I had to have one. I felt the dolls where so much like me. It took me months, but I tracked the artist down and then started communicatine with her via email. At the time she did not have any pieces avaliable... I lost track and it took me another year and half before I was able to track her down again on Etsy.com...so 3 years later I have finally found and purchased a doll from this wonderful artist. I must tell you she is nothing short of awesome. The work and craftsman ship is over and beyond..... I love my new couple, but have not decided on any names yet. Any suggestions?

Tales from the Hood Custom Dolls and the History of Voodoo

  This morning marks a significant day for me as a professional doll collector. I think I just acquired the most  unique doll in my collection. I noticed the dolls about a month ago while researching voodoo dolls on Ebay. Since learning I am a descendant from the Benin and Togo area of Africa I have  been researching about their religion and trying to understand it more. I have also learned that my line of work has exposed me to homes where families may openly practice Voodoo or Santeria..  Much to my surprise, I came across this very creepy yet, familiar looking doll set. At first I could not put my finger on it but, after reading the caption .. I quickly remember  this 90s Horror flick that eventually became a  Urban Hit and today.. considered a horror classic.. produced by non other than Spike Lee the 90s horror flick TALES FROM THE HOOD... WAS A CREEPY RENDITION OF TALES FROM THE CREEP..  And Me, Yes Me,  I  have just acquired this awesome doll set!  I was so luck to run across

Dolls Imitating My Life

As I prepare for a doll show tomorrow to honor Dr. James Dickey from Taylor, Texas, I am challenged to create an exhibit about health and wellness. I have less than 24 hrs. For the first time, I will exhibit dolls and dioramas. Here are a few scenes I recently created. More videos and photos coming soon. Learning a new hobby such as playing the djembe drum can be relaxing and is an excellent way to practice selfcare. Who is Dr. James Dickey? Learn more about Dr. James Dickey's contributions to Central Texas and African American health and wellness at his website. https://dickeymuseum.org/dr-james-lee-dickey/ Until next time... photo credits James Dickey Museum website